Sunday, March 27, 2011

Jungle Muse: Drumming in Costas Rica

I am so blessed to be living in a truly magical place right now, nestled deep in the heart of the jungle perched up above the Pacific Ocean with a magnificient view of a land formation known here as “Coasta Baillena” or “The Whale’s Tail.” I’ve been coming to this magical place for 5 years now working with a good friend on a vision for a center for musicians, artists and conscious creatives to enjoy, learn, rejuvenate and practice the artistry of life in harmony with nature!

Part of what has continued to attract me and keep me interested in this place is the community that is growing and thriving here. There are people from all over the world coming here to work and live in a different way, a more sustainable, more “tranquillo,” more community oriented way that offers a much different quality of life than what modern mainstream society and culture seems to offer.

One of the things I’ve observed and resonated with in the people that I meet here is a deep appreciation for the simple pleasures of life: good food, good conversation, nature, and a real love and appreciation of sharing creativity, music and inspiration together as often as possible!!

Last night I went to visit my friend Andrew’s finca (farm) just down the road from Selva Armonia for a little pizza party he throws there every Friday night in the jungle. Interestingly enough, Andrew and I met almost 10 years ago in North Carolina in the African Drum and Dance community in Asheville. When I first came here, 5 years ago, I thought it was pretty groovy and synchronic that Andrew lived on the same road that Selva Armonia was on! I took it as a very good sign to already have at least one drumming buddy here!

The pizza party happens all around the tiny little fire fueled clay oven with just a few benches and a grassy hill to lounge on, and with about 20 people showing up for a nite of sharing in the jungle, roots style, there was a good amount of energy and love to bask in!

For me, there is just something so incredibly magical about playing in the dark of night, nestled deep in nature, far away from city sounds or distractions. It allows the real me to surface effortlessly, especially once a drum comes within my little wild hands, and even more so when a few other experienced solid players emerge to groove with me! Being immersed in nature and playing music allows us to become deeply connected to the earth’s energy in a very powerful way. Tribal people of course have known this forever. For me, the experience is always a direct portal to blissful union with God, self and others. When that pocket of connectivity really anchors itself thru all of the players present, it seems that nature responds and unites with us, and thru us and the wisdom of harmony is transmitted through the ethers, resonating thru the stars!

There were moments last night when I could feel the insects pulsating in sync with our playing, the nite birds chiming in on the spaces that were there between beats, and all of nature totally in the groove with us. The only light was a few candles they were cooking pizza by and the clay oven’s flame behind us. The stars above were brilliantly dancing and fully be-dazzling me with their star songs. The moments of transcendance from linear time and space that music seems to create, granted me refuge, sanctuary and freedom from all of the monkey business of the mind and it’s stories!

Bliss is pretty much a given for me in moments like these where good people are together in nature sharing in the simple pleasures of life, opening our hearts to each other, the cosmos and our own divine reflections of grace and wisdom. So grateful for the opportunity to share in the Jungle Muse!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Please visit regularly and share your stories!