Friday, May 14, 2010

The Evolution of the Drum Circle: Jupiter, FL

May 13, 2010

Being back in Florida is such a sweet experience of homecoming, love, community and support and I feel so grateful for what is happening here. Clearly there is a strong current of consciousness, community and even sustainability that is emerging here which inspires me and warms my heart to it's depths.

Last night at the Corners Drum Circle, in Jupiter, I found myself surrounded by old friends from highschool, and my other visits and years in Florida, but also by a familiar energy of love that is common in drum circles around the world. Something about being together in this way, transparent, real, and exposed to the circle around us creates a vortex of love and connectivity that even if we don't speak, we share.

All ages of people from 15 to 65 were there, dancing, grooving, drumming and relaxing together. I am so inspired and so touched to see this circle as well as the Sheppard Park circle in Stuart which I was one of the original members of in it's early years almost 15 years ago. To see the committment of some of these people who I know have been holding it down for all of these years, and their inner personal growth through the process only adds fuel to my inspiration to continue to do the work I am doing and feel passionate about with community music making!

n talking with some people last night, I feel to share more about what this is, and why I'm doing it!

The Evolution of the Drum Circle workshops are designed to be a combination of discussion and the application of skill sets to help existing communities improve their circles, build more solid and interesting rhythmical and musical foundations and ultimately bring the individuals in the group together more as a collective whole functioning as one instrument played by many hands!

The idea is that the more we communicate openly about what is working, and what could or might be able to work better in the circle, the more we share, reflect and talk in a safe space with no judgements, the more we grow and evolve as a community. By sharing in concepts and dialogue and learning together some basic practical skills and applications of working energy and cooperating in the circle, the more exciting, rewarding and fulfilling our community drum circles can be for us as individuals and as a community.

Please feel free to email me with any questions. My sincere intention is that the community leaders and those who frequent drum circles will come to share and grow together, for YOU are the ones that the rest of the community looks to as the model of what is expected, possible and acceptable even. What the drum circle offers us as a model for the new paradigm is tremendous in scope!


Seeing what is going on here in South Florida is an inspiration for me to continue to share and learn and grow with this beautiful community sharing!

I am so humbled to participate and so grateful for the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Please visit regularly and share your stories!